The mission of the Department of Economics is to offer at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, courses that produce competent professionals in economics with strong analytical and practical skills for research, economic analysis and economic development at home and abroad.
Objectives of Degree Programme
The main objective of the department is to provide students with an in-depth exposure to both theoretical and practical skills necessary for career service in the public and private sectors of the economy as well as for self – employment in Cameroon, Africa and the World.
General Certificate of Education (GCE) Advanced Level passes in at least two subjects: Economics, Management, Marketing, Accounting, Mathematics, and/or Geography, scoring at least 4 points; a pass in GCE Ordinary Level (O/L) Mathematics, in addition to university requirements.
To be awarded a Bachelor of Science degree in Economics, the student must:
- Meet all the graduation requirements set out in the General Academic Regulations
- Successfully complete all required course work outlined in this programme
- Students must complete a 4-weeks industrial attachment at the end of the second semester of their second year. This practical on-site work experience provides the student the opportunity to gain industrial experience before they graduate. Student assessment will be based on the students’ on-the-job performance and on a comprehensive report written by the student
- Carry out an independent research project under the supervision of a faculty member in the Department of Economics.
- Obtain a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
After graduation, students can gain employment in any profit and non-profit making organization at home or abroad. Our graduates are also expected to become a valuable contribution to the high level of manpower required for the development of the country. They are equally expected to make a contribution to the supply of academic economists in the secondary and high schools of Cameroon.