Are you ready to spend time in lectures and in labs, collect invertebrates and vertebrates out in the field, dissect a frog? Then a BSc. course in Zoology will provide a comprehensive education in Zoology, with opportunities to learn the underlying principles, defining concepts, theories, methods, current knowledge and development of the subject. We aim to enable students to develop a confident, scientific approach to answering questions through theoretical analysis, formulation of hypotheses, practical experimentation, data analysis and communication of results.
Mission Statement of the Department of Zoology
To provide instruction in Zoology at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and to carry out scientific research adapted to the changing needs of the society. The undergraduate programme is designed to provide tools, techniques and thinking in such a way as to enable the graduates to find gainful employment in areas where Zoology knowledge is required and to have the adequate background necessary for the pursuit of studies and research in Zoology and related fields at the postgraduate level. The department, through its programmes, also seeks to satisfy the evolving needs of Zoology and Animal/Health Research.
Objectives of the Degree Program
Zoology ranges from the study of molecules to that of animal communities. The objectives of the degree program are:
- To give the student a good foundation not only in descriptive biology and zoology in particular, but also in the experimental aspects, based on the understanding of underlying physical, chemical and mathematical principles.
- To define the organization of the whole life and its evolution in all its aspects, and to apprehend the unity and diversity of animal structures.
- To understand the architectural principles of living organisms, the functioning of the various parts, and the mechanisms responsible for the development of their complex structure.
- To study the relations and interactions between plants and animals and their environment.
- To introduce the students to the applications of zoology to other pure and applied biological disciplines such as agriculture, animal husbandry, medicine (medical and veterinary ), environment, food and textile industries, etc.
The curriculum is delivered by dedicated, motivated, research active staff, who provide up-
For undergraduate admission, candidates must have passed the G.C.E. Ordinary level in at least 5 papers including English and Mathematics, before obtaining two G.C.E. Advanced level papers, one in biology and the other in another science subject.
Future,Career and Employment.
The BSc graduate in Zoology is suited for immediate employment or for specialized postgraduate training. A first degree in zoology can lead to a wide variety of jobs in schools, industries, (food, textile, etc), agriculture, livestock production, environment or can lead to self-
The tuition fee per year is 645,500 F CFA for Cameroonians and 1,045,500 F CFA for foreign students. To read more about fees click here.