Mission Statement of the Department
The mission of the Department of Banking and Finance is to provide a sound and competitive banking/financial programme with the use of modern learning tools and practical field exposures to satisfy the expectations of contemporary financial markets, by producing graduates majoring in Banking and Finance and graduates with a special minor option in Microfinance.
Objectives of the Banking and Finance Department
The Bachelor of Banking and Finance degree programme is aimed at sharpening student’s knowledge and skills in banking and finance and finally producing graduates who will:
(a.) Be critical and creative scholars capable of:
- producing innovative solutions to banking and finance problems and
- Effectively applying research skills in banking and finance.
(b.) Be responsible and effective global citizens capable of:
- Confidently engaging in national and international banking and finance activities. and
- Demonstrating competitive banking and finance knowledge and skills.
(c.) Possess a comprehensive understanding of their discipline and who are able to meet the requirements of the banking and finance job market.
(d.) Possess a well-developed understanding of multi-disciplinary decision making.
General Certificate of Education (GCE) Advanced Level passes in at least two subjects in the Arts or Sciences in addition to university requirements.
To be awarded a Bachelor of Science degree in Banking and Finance, the student must:
- Meet all the graduation requirements set out in the General Academic Regulations
- Successfully complete all required courses in the programme
- Carry out an independent research project under the supervision of a faculty member in the Department of Banking and Finance.
- Students must complete an eight week long industrial attachment at the end of the second semester of the second year. This practical on-site work experience provides the student with the opportunity to gain industrial experience before they graduate. Student assessment will be based on the students’ on- the job performance and on a comprehensive report written by the student.
- Obtain a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
The following are some career possibilities that students can expect upon graduation:
- Build a career in a finance department of major establishments and financial institutions.
- Gain employment in retail, wholesale, international investment, funding, and banking services etc.